Saturday, May 1, 2010

20 Years... Flashback

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy..... it is officially May! This train is moving like a bullet and I can hardly catch myself to breathe! Where in the world did the time go?

At 1:30 PM yesterday I received a text from my sweet husband. "Just saw my last patient in the clinic".
That sentence was hard. I can't imagine how he feels. TWENTY YEARS folks, 20 years. My sweet husband isn't a man of many words ( that is why he married me ), but this week has been a hard one. I look back now and see sadness. This is a man- who paid and worked his way through medical school. Not a trust fund baby, no free ride. He is a son of a preacherman.... sing it sista!

Thirteen years ago ( a little longer than that actually) I walked into SWRCC. "Cancer" was in my body and I was only 22 years old. I had been partially blind in one eye and the other wasn't so good. I had alot of pain in my chest and a constant fever. I was miserable from the chronic back ache. I just needed someone to "fix" me. That is funny- there were other areas in my life that needed to be fixed too. I had been praying for a sign, anything.... just get me better......
Then in walked Dr. Tucker! Its funny- I don't remember much about him at first. He sat in a chair and asked if I had any questions. I had a LIST! He slapped his knee and said, " A list?!? " - " Go ahead".
I thought- "what is wrong with him-- I am dying, right?"
I proceeded through my list and my last question was " Do I need to change my diet?" He laughed out loud and said " For God's sake, you have cancer- eat whatever you want!"
Two weeks went by of testing and then it was my first chemo! During that time my personal life was still spiraling out of control. I hated it- but what was I going to do?
I walked in sat quietly BY MYSELF and HE walked in....... AT THAT EXACT MOMENT I KNEW I WAS GOING TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH DR. TUCKER!!!!
That is scary folks...... I didn't know squat about him.... Nadda, Zero, Zilch!!! I didn't know if he had a wife, girlfriend or even if he liked dogs.......
Divine intervention!!!!! My sweet nurse, Alisa- aka Nurse Plushbottom (lol), was my teaching nurse and Thomas' personal nurse. Twenty years this woman has put up with him..... and we love her for it!
Little did I know how much she would be a part of my life. Thanks be to God!!
Alisa
I made it through my cancer treatments and radiation. My hair grew back ( never to be the same) and life went on.... sorta. Every time I went in to see Dr. T, my heart would flutter and I couldn't catch my breath. How stupid- but I just couldn't stop my "desire" for him.
(Guess what- He still takes my breath away!! I still get breathless when he walks through the door. We have been married 10.5 years.... not bad!)
I would make my appointments "strategically". They would always be the last appt.of the day so he would have to sit and talk to me. It worked! ( I know- sly!)
We went one day to have lunch and it lasted 8.5 hours. I went home knowing my life was going to change.... either with him or without him but I was changing it immediately! I had NO idea if he was interested, interested in me ( you know, marriage interested) and I still didn't know where he was in his life.
Fast forward..... A trip to Baby A's changed everything!! He leaned over- after a couple of margaritas and planted a smooch on me. That was it folks....... next thing I knew we were planning our wedding!!

Fast forward again......
Now, I have been with him most of his 20 years here. I have watched him grow a practice and a reputation of great stature! He is an EXCELLENT doctor. I know- he saved my life in so many ways! He has helped others in many, many , many ways. He has one of the hardest jobs in the world! Helping those he can- but helping those who he can't... and that effects him profoundly!
He loves being a doctor but he loves his patients even more! Leaving is scary, difficult and nerve racking. But there is more to this story!

God. Yes, God! He has big plans for this man. Somehow, I am just holding on to his coattails and enjoying the ride. See, some of you don't know how faithful Thomas is. This is a man who is a convert. Yep- a son of a preacher... Baptist. Found Catholicism in college and converted. His father wasn't pleased but came to his baptism, first communion and confirmation..... looking back, I am sure it was a personal dig against his Dad's beliefs. His father passed away tragically so Thomas has never been able to share these last 30 years with him. I truly believe he has helped guide Thomas all these years and is so VERY proud of him. He would have loved his grandkids.
God has truly touched Thomas. He has 5 beautiful kids who adore him! Want to be with him ALL the time. Think he walks on water.....
So God has whispered "Trust me" in his ear. Well, easier said than done. It is easier to trust when you are in your "element". We are no longer familiar with anything. WE are leaving. WE are moving 2k miles away...... "trusting".

I know what we are doing will be good for the family. Thomas has worked very hard. The hardest work is still ahead. Raising 5 kids in todays world is confusing and challenging. They need their Dad and he needs them. It is what we are called to do-- Be Parents! This is why we are changing everything we know!!
Thomas will be able to be with US more. That is the most important work he could ever do-- be a Dad!

So, after 20 years it is time to say "good-bye" to working here. He will take his boys on a roadtrip to the great NW. It will be wonderful for all of them.
We will not say "good-bye" to our friends. They will always be our friends and we hope to see them.... either here or up there. It is time to wrap up this chapter of our life. This chapter in Thomas' life.
As a wise man once said-- Life is a gift! We cannot choose how many years we want this "gift" to be for it is God's gift and only he knows how long that will be. We hope the gift that God has given us, our children, our marriage, Thomas' talent as a doctor will continue to grow.
We are willing to trust and follow God.
To his patients, I know you are loosing someone you trust and feel safe. Please know- this man of few words really cares for you. It has been so very hard for him to walk away. He has taken time and thought to place you with another caring doctor. Trust him or her.
To his nurses- I THANK you! He can be a little spoiled. Thank you for loving him so much.
Life is Good!!
Thanks be to God for the beautiful life we have had here in Austin!

5 comments:

  1. Really beautiful Melanie. You know, you can run 2,000 miles away, but you cannot hide :) So thankful God is asking you to trust and take a leap of faith. Those are the best walks you'll ever take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think yesterday's dr's appt was harder than the first one with him. But I "get it" and I am ok with it. I wish all 7 of you, your mom and your grandma (Bobby won't let me type their crazy nicknames) too, the very best, we can't wait to come see you! We love you all! I know you always say to me, "it is about Thomas...", not for us, it is about the whole crazy bunch of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you know how I/we feel... sigh. Almost 7 yrs ago I met your hubbie, not realizing at that time that I, too, would spent the rest of my life with him (and his wonderful/extraordinary family). Thanks for willingly sharing your man with me! I don't care how far away you all go, you will never get away from me and Mark. And that's not a threat though it sounds like one. Ha. I can't wait to visit Wenatchee, I am sure it is beautiful, that the Tucker family circus will love it, and that Wenatchee has NO IDEA the ruckus that is headed its way!

    Love, Brenda and Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, beautifully written. Great job Melanie!!! I don't know where to began or how to write my feelings. I am very thankful to Tom for a wonderful working 20 year relationship, I would not change any part of it for the world. We love our patients and their families from the bottom of our hearts. Trying the best we can to help them live the best lives that they can. But we are most thankful for the lifetime of friendship we have had with the family. It will continue even it it has to be 2000 miles away. We look forward to many visits and vacations to come. You cannot get rid us. We will always be with you every day in spirit. Our prayers are with you for safe travels into the next wonderful adventure of the Tucker Family Circus. Lastly Melanie you have made my life complete, your friendship means everything to me. We are soul sisters. You share your family with my family everyday. You accept us for who we are and for that we love you all very much. Tom I have always felt like you were one of my best friends not just "the doctor" I work for. I will always cherish our friendship for ever.
    Love, Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, this is just beautiful! I'm enjoying Tucker Family Circus so much, but this one made me cry! God has really blessed you with Thomas and the kids and the rest of us are just blessed to be related to you! I'm so looking forward to your new adventure because I just know it will be wonderful for your family. Although it will be farther away (a LOT farther!), it's still only a plane ride!

    We love you so much...Linda

    ReplyDelete