Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Gardening 101...

I talked to a dear friend tonight. She said some great words--- "I am proud of you". WOW! It brought tears to my eyes......


Listen, I will flash back from time to time to remind you guys what type of "life change" I am going through. I make it present tense because I am not sure when I will be finished with the "change".
So here is the flash back!
I love the finer things in life... good food, great clothes, high heeled shoes. I love designer, NY, Five star anything and traveling.... especially if it is Five Star!
Most people would read that and say--- she is spoiled and snotty.... I am spoiled but NOT snotty! It takes a big person to admit they like "things", "comforts", "items". I am just admitting it- that is all.
I love all of those things still, but living in Wenatchee, I am giving up my Michael Kors high heels for my Tevas, Chacos and clogs. But don't think for one second I am a Berkeinstock girl-- NO! I still have fashion since--- it is just simplified for now.
So- even though I was brought up around farm land, gardens, and guns.... it has been a long time since I have gone back to those roots.
NOW- we have a garden, I make baby food, I tend to a compost pile, I cut roses and I am now brunette..... SCARY!
For some reason- I like it-- A LOT! I love the fact my kids play outside. They dig for worms in the compost piles. They are anxious to tend to the garden and they never complain. They eat veggies. OK- not Blaise--- but he is eating fish sticks!!! This is progress people.


BTW- worm to the right- average worm-- worm to the left the mega night crawlers.

Even Madelon Rose still wears a dress but digs in the garden.

Right now- I picked about 1.5 pounds of beautiful lettuce and radishes today. I gave a bunch of radish to my neighbor and half of the bib lettuce. Then we picked the rasberries..... they aren't in full bloom - YET!

My yard is fighting some funky fungus right now. Too much rain, cool days and water. I have to treat it this week. I have fungus on some of my flowers-- bummer-- and a scale on my Holly hocks (sp?).
My cherries are starting to get red and ripe for picking. OMG- exciting!! Apples are not ready till fall.
My blueberry bushes will start in the next couple of weeks. OK, I could be Whole Foods. I will have to eat all the time just to consume this food.... amazing!
*Things I hate--- turning the compost pile! It is VERY heavy!

It takes time for all of this land. I wouldn't trade it for anything!! I wish my friends would come visit. It is so lovely....hope you will soon!!!
Overall- things are good. Thomas is relaxed. He starts work on the 28th ( pray for him!) and we will go through another "change". The kids are healthy (TBTG) and having a ball just being "kids". They will start basketball camp soon. Memom is adjusting to her new digs. Chi Chi is STILL trying to find employment ( PLEASE pray even harder for this!! ). I am just "being". It is scary but ok. Not on any schedule..... YET!

3 comments:

  1. Now that I see these pics, I'm even MORE proud of you :) For reals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!! Super proud and I am super jealous of the garden! Next year I will be calling you for pointers. I saw blackberry bushes all over this morning when I dropped shelby off at her Pet retreat (we are heading to Austin for the 20th year high school reunion). Miss you!!
    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not too excited about those worms. They look like snakes. Very proud of you too!!!! And ths kids really do seem to be enjoying it. Give everyone hugs and kisses from me. I really do want to come visit, maybe sometime in the fall.
    Love, Alisa

    ReplyDelete