Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cherries--- YUMMY!

This is going to be a short post. I have lots to share of our weekend to Stehekin ( U say- Stu- he- kin). It was lovely and I can't wait to share the pictures.
So- this is short because we learned something this weekend. On Thursday we borrowed an orchard ladder from our friend. It was time to pick cherries..... YUMMY!!!!

So here is the thing- We asked our friend who has the orchard of cherries if ours were ready for picking. He went through color, texture, taste. He told us how others pick cherries but that it is personal.
OK?!?! So, we being the greedy ones we thought-- we will start to pick some THEN when we return from our weekend we will go to town and pick till our heart is content. We will be in cherry heaven!! The envy to all our friends--- we might go into business!!! STOP RIGHT THERE!
We picked 2 huge bowls full- giggled to how smart we were and off we went for our weekend.
Returning from paradise- I went and picked lettuce, radish and rhubarb. I then headed to the cherries.
OMG- I was shocked!! I felt the earth turn and spin. I felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to cry!
THE BIRDS!!! THE  ^&%*(#  BIRDS!!!!!! Our tree looked like a blood bath had taken place.
They got 90% of our tree......aaaaagh! It was horrific looking and terribly sad.
Our friend had said that a couple of birds can cause thousands of dollars of damage! Well, we left town and the whole scene from "16 CANDLES "had taken place in our cherry tree. The only thing missing was the oriental bird falling out of the tree from cherry overdose!!

WE were stupid to think they would be there when we got home...... lesson here--- pick them and eat them if you like them!! Don't get snotty on if it is "deep burgundy" or just plain red. If they are sweet- eat them. AAAAGH- so frustrating!!!
So, this is the first and ONLY picture of this season's cherries from our cherry tree! Oh well, next year.
Watch out birds-- I will be BACK and waiting--- with an air gun!
PS- Thank goodness you can get 2lbs of cherries for $2 here or I would have really been mad! :}












2 comments:

  1. You two and the kids are really freaking me out with all this fruit and vegetable garden business. Worms, compost (my boys would "dig" that, literally), gardening, etc... I would never believe it if I was not seeing the pictures for myself! Next thing I know you will tell us you have a milk cow and are bottling your own milk and cream and churning butter?! Seriously, all sounds wonderful, can't want to eat fresh fruit salads and fresh fruit pies next summer at your kitchen table. BIG HUGS to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you out there with a air gun next year. We all know you know how to use a gun. Hard to believe one weekend away and the birds could do all that. Too bad, but next year you will be prepared.
    Alisa

    ReplyDelete