Thursday, September 8, 2011

PawPaw and Grammy come to visit WA!

After a long year of not seeing my folks, my Dad, StepMom and Bro came for a 2 week visit. It was a long haul for all of us. This was my first trip by myself with all 5 kids....no Daddy. So, as you can imagine there was a lot of things to start off the adventure wild and crazy.
The folks came to Seattle and we stayed one night before heading out to the Olympic Peninsula. Yes, the 2nd trip to the OP but on the other side... totally different.




First Stop, Hurricane Ridge! Right when you think you have seen all the beauty of the Olympic Peninsula you start on the other side and see the most amazing things. This was a WINDING road that wasn't so nice to the kids. Thank goodness we have those pressure bands. Up, Up, Up, Up it goes. Breathe the fresh air-- can you smell it? It was spectacular. A lot of wildlife that just stand around and munch the vegetation. Something to behold.

Hurricane Ridge
Which one is the wild animal?
I am my Father's daughter...
Don't get too close to the edge...haha


L-R- Blaise, Eric ( my bro) Jax. PawPaw, Henry, Madelon, Grammy, Ebeth

Next stop was outside Sequim...Sekiu. Well, my GPS took us the LONG, winding, exhausting route. Oh Dear Lord- I wanted to die by the time we got out of the car. But then we showed up at this great little fishing town with lovely rooms. It was great but I should have been better prepared. Should have stopped in Port Angeles and loaded up the ice chests with more stuff.... next time. This little speck of town is that- a speck. Not much going on. It is really for those who want to come, fish, cookout, camp out and chill out. Well, for me- my first solo trip- that was a little much. Thank goodness I had packed a little vino. This is definitely the right place for the angler. Not for a chick with 5 kids....who don't fish.
I highly, highly recommend the hotel we stayed at Straitside Resort- Motel. If you have older kids who love to fish this is a great setup. You can either bring your boat or get a charter. It would be worth the drive!!! www.straitsideresort.com
From there we were able to visit the Indian Resort on Neah Bay. They have a large museum that shows how they lived in that cold wet climate. It is amazing to see the history. We even got to see a totem pole being painted for a business in Seattle.

Sekiu, WA
The Entrance to the Indian Resort



At the farthest tip of the Peninsula is a hike to Cape Flattery. It is only a 2-3 mile walk  and easy for the most part. At the end there are lots of steps but the scenery is worth every step!! AMAZING!
Just to tell you... Henry walked EVERY step of the hike. Ok, I had to pick him up every once in awhile but that was because he was in love with the ferns. He made it.... and slept 12 hours that night!





What happened to my baby boy? 10 years on that day!




Henry is a trooper! His other siblings quit half way!
On the way back to civilization we stopped in the hands on Aquarium in Port Angeles. It was fun for everyone to touch, feel, learn their way through the exhibits. Madelon really loved the microscope.


Future Marine Biologist!!!

Ice cream break!

We also went through Crescent Lake. Man- it is beautiful. I could never capture the right lighting on this place. Thomas says I can have him cremated if I scatter the ashes here.... deal! Lol
We are looking into a vacation here in the future. Lovely sites, great hikes. We did a hike up to some lovely falls. Again, the kids did great on the hikes. They are really doing well with hiking. They seem to enjoy it- if its not too steep. This one, I made Henry get in his backpack. Too steep. Lovely- and best of all I got a great picture of me and my Dad!!

Herding cats for a picture... poor Grammy


No doubt they love their Grammy!!
Proof of me and 5 kids solo on vacation!
Me and my Daddy!


Final stop- Mount Rainier! We rented a cabin/house that fit all of us. I must say, the best equipped rental I have EVER stayed. They had everything. Check out - www.threebearslodge.net
It is a perfect place for families and a great location to the mountain. This was by far the best place to be but by then- it was day 6 and my nerves were worn and I was exhausted from not sleeping well. Not to mention, the kids were not sleeping. I also had missed my coffee.... REAL coffee.  Still- upward and onward we went. We drove to the main base of the mountain. I must say-- it is overwhelming standing there thinking-- this is a VOLCANO!! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!



Up we go on our hike
200 feet from base... snow!
Ankle deep, not prepared and SLIPPERY!!

So, by this point we are walking up the mountain. There is a LOT of snow. yes, there were "brown" spots but that was mud and not all dry. The farther we went up... the deeper it got and the wetter the kids were. Needless to say, we did not have the proper shoes. Feet were wet, cold and numb. So--- down we came. Not even a half mile up. At that point- I needed to go home. I sent my folks off , told them we would see them in Wenatchee, packed up and headed back home. OF COURSE- we ran into construction and the 4.5 hours turned into 7 hours. Yes- I was cross eyed when I arrived home. Exhausted , mentally pooped and ready for a hot shower. I just needed to see my sweet husband. I have not been away from him longer than 2 days so this was rough. We got home without leaving someone on the edge of the road, but it was close.
My folks stayed in Seattle then came to take the boys to the Mariners game. This was their first major league game. Not quite like the Applesox ( no running around ) but they had a great time. The rest of the vacation was hanging out in Wenatchee, showing the sites and going on hikes.

I learned a lot about myself on this trip. I can take my kids and do a vacation. Its not easy, but I can do it. It is much easier having my hubby along but in a pinch I know I could pull it off again in the future..... WAY future.
There is another thing I know..... being away from my Dad is a lot harder than I thought it would be. It feels like forever till the next visit. It was hard just to "be" with my Dad without the kids tackling him or needing his attention. Maybe next time, we can spend an early morning having coffee.....like the old days!
The kids loved being with their grandparents. They miss them so very much. The girls cling to their Grammy. I think she needed a vacation from the vacation. I hope one day they will be closer again. We miss them terribly. Thanks for the memories-- it was all good!
Love and miss you Dad and Cindy.

No comments:

Post a Comment